Sunday, November 28, 2004

Winter of My Discontent

I wrote an essay of the same title twelve years ago, after the 1992 election debacle. This time it isn't quite so politically apocalyptic, or any kind of apocalyptic really, but there are still some sucky things on my personal horizon, as well as right now.

Like my cold, for instance. Mrs. HardStarboard came down with it a week ago, and I steadfastly stayed away from her (a herculean feat given my libido), and yet I still managed to come down with it. So I spent my Thanksgiving break doing what I usually do - being sick and trying to get rid of it before I have to go back to work.

Work will be a bitch because the normal five day week is effectively reduced to four, with twice the workload plus cross-training I'm conducting in my department. This after last week was a three-day week.

And then there's the jury duty I've tried to get out of for the past year, but of which the U.S. District Court for some reason adamantly insists I am a critical component, which will turn 8-10 hour days into 16-20 hour days for a minimum of two weeks. Depending on what happens and what I get stuck with, I might be sequestered away in a hotel somewhere for months, my job and family and life abandoned, and of course without a laptop to pass the time in the evenings. Sometimes I think getting drafted would be preferable - at least in that case I'd know what I was needed for.

Needless to say, blogging isn't going to be happening very much. I'll be going above and beyond the call just to keep updating my "Best of the Web" links.

But at least I won't be catching any more colds from my family.

My fellow jurors, on the other hand.....