Monday, December 27, 2004

This is How "Blue"-Staters "Reach Out"

Here's a token of esteem a Canadian reader sent to Matt Margolis over at blogsforbush.com - and on Christmas Day, no less:

If I EVER come face to face with ANYONE who voted for sorry excuse for a human being known as Bush, I would bash their head in with a lead pipe and shit down their throat. I hope the terrorists come and blow your piece of shit country to bits, you worthless piece of dog shit! I hope the Iraqis kill every last US war criminal that is currently occupying their land. I PERSONALLY vow to hunt you down and kill you and everyone you love. You deserve nothing less.

Somehow I doubt this individual would be so belligerent if he was face-to-face with Mr. Margolis. It's the nature of this medium that anybody can be a badass when hiding behind an anonymous, AOLized handle.

But what caught my eye about this little missive is its similarity to a threat that was made against me and a sysopial colleague over at republicanforum.com some five years ago. Our would-be assailant was a bit more creative - "splatter your blood and eyeballs on the walls" and "rip out your entrails and jump rope with them" were the two phrases that stuck with me.

It didn't phase me all that much since I live in the Pacific Northwest and the threatener resided in the Tampa-St. Petersburg, Florida area. Perhaps it was naive of me, but I had difficulty picturing this guy (who was not exactly well-to-do) dropping several hundred bucks on air fare to back up his attempts at menacing. My colleague, however, had just taken a vacation in, you guessed it, Tampa-St. Pete, having posted his plans in the public forum, and didn't learn of the threat until his return. Needless to say, he was more than a little miffed that no action had been taken against our wannabe stalker, since he might have been a threat to my colleague's wife and kids as well.

All of which is a roundabout way of urging Mr. Margolis to report this threat and get this asshole neutralized by one means or another. Even if his correspondent never intends to follow through, the part about "I PERSONALLY vow to hunt you down and kill you and everyone you love" is not couched in any mitigating language whatsoever. It is a direct homicidal threat, and for that alone this sicko should be put away.