Friday, August 19, 2005

Who Is Cindy Sheehan REALLY Condemning?

That isn't quite the premise of David Galernter's Los Angeles Times piece today, but there's a passage within it that lends itself to my query, and, I think, strips naked the soon to be former Mrs. Sheehan's true motivations. And trust me, that's just as ugly, and non-maternal, as it sounds.

And what was Casey Sheehan's message? It had nothing to do with President Bush. It didn't even have to do with the war, necessarily. It said something much simpler: "I love my country."...

Did he intend to say, "I love my country?" Or was he tricked into saying it? He volunteered to reenlist with the war underway — as an experienced young man, not a teenager. Then he volunteered again, for a dangerous mission above and beyond the call of duty. And one thing more, from his sister, Carly: "That's all he wanted to do was serve God and his country his whole life." (He was a devout Roman Catholic.) What message emerges? What it sounds like to me is: "I devote my life lovingly to my country and my God."

And his mother's message? The FrontPage website noted her comments to a reporter. "The biggest terrorist is George W. Bush." And: "We are waging nuclear war in Iraq, we have contaminated the entire country." And most important: "America has been killing people on this continent since it started. This country is not worth dying for."
For all those who are willing to cut Cindy slack because of her supposed "absolute moral authority" as a grieving mother - and those who actually support her - I submit the following, toe-curling question:

Given Casey Sheehan's core values and beliefs, particularly as expressed by his selfless and heroic actions, versus those of his mother, is it not fair to say that Cindy Sheehan considered her own son to be a "terrorist" and "war criminal"? And doesn't that give the lie to the professed grief that is writing her meal ticket as the (for the moment) princess of the seditionist, Bushophobic wacko Left?

No wonder her family is deserting her - she deserted them a long time ago.