Friday, December 30, 2005

Best and Worst

Fun column up over at NRO about the best and worst political moments of 2006. Lots of different opinions, and hard to disagree with any of them.

Personally, I think the best political moments have been every time Bush has stood up and re-stated his resolve to win the War on Terror. It is so nice to have a person of character at the helm of the country again. Even if we don't always agree with him, we know he is an honest, decent man who is doing what he thinks is right. That is a rare thing in politics today.

Which brings me to my opinion of the worst political moments...the trashing of America and our troops by various and sundry Democrats. Durbin's comments are, in my opinion, the worst. He should have been recalled by the voters of Illinois (yeah, like that's gonna happen). Dirty Harry and Ted "The Swimmer" Kennedy are right behind him. And...let's not forget Demented Howard Dean. The fact that high ranking Democrats such as these men have the gall to publicly state that we are losing in Iraq and comparing our troops to terrorists is just outrageous. In a perfect world, the MSM would have been all over them, and not in such a preening, positive way.

I think 2006 is going to be a much better year...I think the fledgling Iraq democracy will grow stronger, and we will be able to slowly begin pulling out of there. I think Alito will be confirmed, and I think Bush will get another chance to appoint a conservative to the high court before his term is over to replace a departing Ginsburg or Kennedy (good riddance!). I think the Republicans are seeing that when they stand up for what is right and get more vocal about it, the public responds, as evidenced by their rising poll numbers despite the vicious attacks by the Democrats all year. Yeah, some bad stuff will happen in 2006...but I am optimistic about the Republicans' future, and the future of America. (Go ahead Jim, pee all over my Pollyanna attitude now :-) )