Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Flaunt the Sin, Expose the Contrition

Looky what Uncle Teddy is saying now [HT: Double-H]:

U.S. Senator Edward M. Kennedy — who ripped Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito for ties to a group that discriminates against women — says he’s going to quit a club notorious for discriminating against women "as fast as I can."

Kennedy was outed by conservatives late last week as a current member of The Owl Club, a social club for Harvard alumni that bans women from membership.

In an interview with WHDH Channel 7's Andy Hiller that aired last night, Kennedy said, "I joined when I . . . 52 years ago, I was a member of the Owl Club, which was basically a fraternal organization."

Asked by Hiller whether he is still a member, Kennedy said, "I'm not a member; I continue to pay about $100."

He then said of being a member in a club that discriminates against women, "I shouldn't be and I'm going to get out of it as fast as I can."

The Harvard Crimson reports that, in 1984, the university severed ties with clubs like the Owl, citing a federal law championed by Kennedy.

Meanwhile, Kennedy admitted to Hiller that he himself probably couldn't pass Judiciary Committee muster. "Probably not . . . probably not," Kennedy said.

I just love the new media. But even the Extreme Media has its occasional charms (via LevinBlog):

Mr. Kennedy said the nomination process, and particularly the hearings, had "turned into a political campaign," and that the White House had proved increasingly skilled in turning that to its advantage.

"These issues are so sophisticated - half the Senate didn't know what the unitary presidency was, let alone the people of Boston," he said, referring to one of the legal theories that was a major focus of the hearings. "I'm sure we could have done better."

"But what has happened is that this has turned into a political campaign," he said. "The whole process has become so politicized that I think the American people walk away more confused about the way these people stand."

Translation: "Oh, bleep, borking doesn't work anymore, what the hell are we gonna do now?!?"

This is where I would ordinarly say something pithy like "Physician, heal thyself," except that inebriation and even the metaphorical practice of medicine are not things that should ever be mixed....