Friday, December 29, 2006

Recovering

Yeah, I'm still around. I've been sick as a dog with a bad cold/flu since Christmas. For someone who rarely gets sick, this has been a major inconvenience! I have a home business, therefore not working is not an option, however I certainly wasn't as productive as usual! I still have it, but I think the fog is beginning to clear a bit.

I just wanted to post a few thoughts on Gerald Ford's interview with Bob Woodward. Frankly, I think it was a bit cowardly of him to insist that it not be made public until his death. I'm not one to speak ill of the dead usually (Castro and Hussein's upcoming demise being obvious exceptions), but I just think that was an odd request. The guys over at Powerline have some thoughts regarding this that I agree with (including a link to the Corner):

Ford told Woodward not to publish his views until after his death, but apparently said once he died they could be published at any time. It's easy to understand the first part of the decision -- why would Ford, at his age, want to participate in a contentious policy debate? But Ford has been criticized for not telling Woodward to wait until, say, the end of the Bush administration to reveal his views. Either Ford felt strongly enough about the matter that he wanted his opinion in the mix sooner rather than later (but not so soon that he would become embroiled in the debate) or he didn't think things through very carefully.

I think Ford was a decent man, but I think this decision was a bad one.