Monday, July 23, 2007

An Ill Wind Blows

Turkish secularists suffer their own November 2006 encounter, with potential consequences for the West in the War Against Islamic Fundamentalism as dire as the original.

"Glenn Reynold's correspondent in Turkey, Claire Berlinski, e-mails Instapundit with a 'not to worry,'" adds Double-H. She knows the Turks far better than I. But even if Turkey is not yet the latest Iran, they've taken another big step down that road. And what if they go ahead and invade northern Iraq to squash Kurdish rebels? Having increased their power over Turkey, will the Islamist Erdogan regime be more or less apt to listen to our warnings to stay out?

Maybe J-Ger will add to Ms. Berlinski's reassurance. As it stands right now, I'm not mollified.

UPDATE: Geraghty isn't as "what, me worry?" as Ms. Berlinski, but not climbing out on the ledge like Michael Rubin - and me, I suppose.