Sunday, August 14, 2005

Mixing Religion & Politics

I thought it appropriate to wait until the following Sunday to correct the hypocritical misperception of the Arizona Republic's Linda Valdez that Jesus Christ was "the first liberal" and would today be a Democrat.


Pilate answered, "I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests delivered You to me; what have You done?"

Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm."

Therefore Pilate said to Him, "So You are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say correctly that I am a king For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice." [emphasis added]

-John 18:35-37


The Christian ethic is applicable to individuals, not nations and domestic governments. And any party that embraces child sacrifice (abortion), obscenity ("free speech"), perversion ("gay" rights/sodomarriage), persecutes the brethren ("separation of church and state"), and considers Hillary Clinton the personification of our LORD's teachings is a party that is, to put it delicately, most vehemently not "of the truth."

Ms. Valdez might want to flip over to the Gospel of Luke, where we find a passage of Jesus' that might not fit into her partisan template:


Do you suppose that I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division; for from now on five members in one household will be divided, three against two and two against three.

They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law....

You hypocrites! You know how to analyze the appearance of the earth and the sky, but why do you not analyze this present time?


Truth has a way of dividing people, because those who do not want to hear it are the least tolerant people of all. Small wonder then that those same people are so throughly hypocritical as to excoriate the "religious right" for mixing religion and politics and then hijack the Messiah Whom they despise for a partisan mascot on issues where it suits them.

Christianity isn't a spiritual smorgasbord. Jesus Christ Himself left no room for picking and choosing. That's why the scribes and Pharisees wanted Him dead, and why their spiritual descendants in today's DisLoyal Opposition want His contemporary followers muzzled, or worse.

As the LORD said to the former:


Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word.

You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

But because I speak the truth, you do not believe Me.

The truth is, Jesus Christ is not "liberal" or "conservative" or "moderate"; neither is He a Republican or a Democrat - He is God the Son, the Second Person of the Trinity, Messiah, the Bright and Morning Star, King of Kings, LORD of Lords, Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

And so much bigger than they, or we, can possibly imagine.

Pray for the Democrats. Just not that they ever get back power in our lifetime. Our lives, and their souls, may depend upon it.