Thursday, October 27, 2005

The Difference One Consonant Could Make

Rush Limbaugh had some sage advice for President Bush yesterday:

First thing I'm going to do is pull Harriet Miers, and I'm going to give the most conservative nominee to the Supreme Court I can, and it's going to be Michael Luttig; it's going to be Janice Rogers Brown. I don't care. It's going to somebody you people are going to hate, and I'm going to fight, and I'm going to get this person confirmed.

Next thing I'm going to do is bomb Syria. I'm through messing around with the war on terror. Now we've got the Iranians, and they're sitting there saying Israel needs to be "wiped off the map." Nothing's changed. I'm going to take care of them, too. I'm going to create so many damn news stories for you people in the media that you won't know what cover first, and I'm going to make so many damn much bigger news stories than this stupid CIA story that I'm going to have you people spinning for the last two years of my Administration, because the last two years of my Administration I'm making the decisions and I'm going to make sure everything I want happens, and I'm going to stop trying to send out this little hand of friendship with you people. I've tried working with you, and I've found out that it can't be done, so barrels are going to be loaded and aimed right at you, and we're going to be
pedal-to-the-metal conservative through and through, and this is what I'm going to give you, and if you don't like it then go try to put me in jail next time.

I would flood the media with so many stories, they wouldn't know what to cover - stories that they hated, actions that they despised! I'd rewrite the education bill. I'd put a stop on this illegal immigration. I would do all of these things. I would have real budget cuts - and I mean cuts. I would propose them and I'd bring the Republicans up to the White House and say, "Okay, you cowards, we're going to stand together now. They're trying to take us out, and here's what we're going to do. We got two years, and we're going to reshape this country like we've been trying to do for the previous six, and here's how we're going to do it, A, B, C, D and E."

Yeah, it isn't exactly in keeping with the "New Tone" and all that rot. But it would be the right thing to do and a spectacular thing to watch, like your team's running back breaking through the line on the last play of a tied SuperBowl and running for a 99-yard touchdown.

And he's already taken the first step....