Sunday, October 02, 2005

When We Speak Foolishly

1I said, "I will (A)guard my ways that I (B)may not sin with my tongue; I will guard (C)my mouth as with a muzzle while the wicked are in my presence."

2I was (D)mute and silent, I [a]refrained even from good, and my [b]sorrow grew worse.

3My (E)heart was hot within me, while I was musing the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue: 4"LORD, make me to know (F)my end and what is the extent of my days; let me know how (G)transient I am.

5"Behold, You have made (H)my days as handbreadths, and my (I)lifetime as nothing in Your sight; surely every man at his best is a mere (J)breath. Selah.

6"Surely every man (K)walks about as [c]a phantom; surely they make an (L)uproar for nothing; he (M)amasses riches and does not know who will gather them.

7"And now, Lord, for what do I wait? My (N)hope is in You.

8"(O)Deliver me from all my transgressions; make me not the (P)reproach of the foolish.

9"I have become (Q)mute, I do not open my mouth, because it is (R)You who have done it.

10"(S)Remove Your plague from me; because of (T)the opposition of Your hand I am perishing.

11"With (U)reproofs You chasten a man for iniquity; You (V)consume as a moth what is precious to him; surely (W)every man is a mere breath. Selah.

12"(X)Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear to my cry; do not be silent (Y)at my tears; for I am (Z)a stranger with You, a (AA)sojourner like all my fathers.

13"(AB)Turn Your gaze away from me, that I may [d]smile again before I depart and am no more."

-Psalm 39