Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Put Up Or Shut Up

I'll admit, I'm not much of a Bill O'Reilly fan. But sometimes, he really hits the nail on the head, as in this column. I stopped watching awards shows a long time ago. They are nothing but plastic people with huge egos parading around for the camera. The vapid comments made by the so-called "stars" is enough to make one barf. O'Reilly touches on this in his column. An excerpt:

The TV Emmy Awards were broadcast a few days ago, and it was the usual -- a bunch of smug, self-satisfied showbiz types parading their liberal views in front of an adoring Los Angeles audience. I mean, come on, you showbiz people are supposed to be creative -- how about something new and exciting: maybe demonstrating to the country you might have a clue about what's going on in the world?

I am an independent American who sees fault on both the left and the right. I closely follow the issues so I can make responsible judgments about the country and its leadership. It annoys me greatly when I see this pack out in Hollywood mugging to the camera, trying to demonstrate how smart and savvy they are. Largely dressed in borrowed clothes and spouting borrowed ideas, these people constantly vilify conservatives as complete idiots. How irresponsibly condescending.

I like that line, "...dressed in borrowed clothes and spouting borrowed ideas,". How true, except calling those statements "ideas" is stretching it a bit. They are playing to people who agree with their statements, and the applause only makes them think even more that they know what they're talking about. Yuk. Rather than watching this parade of phonies, I'd rather watch The Three Stooges. They're a lot smarter.