Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Soaring Like An Eagle

My son had his Court of Honor last night and got his Eagle Scout medal. We are very proud of him. Less than 3% of scouts stay with it for that long and do all that is needed to attain the Eagle rank. It is not easy, nor should it be.

The ceremony was reverent and celebratory, and very disciplined. Even the very youngest scouts were well behaved and respectful, which is what is expected in scouting. Their scoutmaster will not tolerate anything less. I got to pin John's medal to his uniform, and he presented my husband and I with "Eagle mentor" pins, and presented me with a dozen roses.

The speakers and the leaders spoke of integrity, honor, and leadership.

Here is the Scout Oath:

On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

and the Scout Law:

A Scout is ... trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

Hmmm...it's clear why so many liberals hate the Scouts and want to tear it down, right? Can't have our young people learning this stuff.

I highly recommend Scouting. Here is their web site.