Monday, September 03, 2007

"Labor" Day

I put the "Labor" in quotes because unions seem to do their best to make sure their members do as little labor for as much money as possible.

Michelle Malkin has a great roundup on the labor unions at her blog. Some of the highlights:

* Union membership is down to 7.4% of private sector employees and down to 12% overall (government employees are highly unionized, at a rate of 36.2%) – that’s down from a high of 20.1% in 1983

* Union bosses continue to be criticized for their lavish salaries, even while their membership declines

* Even after several major unions split from the AFL-CIO to improve their growth, some have found little success.

Unions are a black spot on the American landscape. I know about those government employee unions, since I work for the Post Office, and I can tell you from personal experience I know of several employees who have been fired, and deserved it, only to run to their union and get their jobs back. I know of several more who should have been fired long ago but keep their jobs because of their union. Everyone seems to think this is a good thing.

Now, I won't pull a John Edwards and say that unions should be banished and people shouldn't have a right to organize if they want to. But it sure would be better for the country, in my opinion.