Monday, August 23, 2004

Eight Years Too Late

I think this can hurt Kerry more than all the medal controversy. I mean, one day he's saying that we were shooting civilians, cutting off their ears, cutting off their heads, throwing away his medals or his ribbons. The next day he's standing there, ‘I want to be president because I'm a Vietnam veteran.’ And I think he's - I said months ago, ‘John, don't go too far.’ And I think he's got himself into this wicket now where he can't extricate himself because not every one of these people can be ‘Republican liars.’ There's got to be some truth to the charges. But this is on tape. This is on television. This is before the Senate committee......Maybe he should apologize to all the other 2.5 million veterans who served. He wasn't the only one in Vietnam. And here's, you know, a good guy, good friend. I respect his record. But three Purple Hearts and never bled that I know of. I mean, they're all superficial wounds. Three Purple Hearts and you're out.

-Bob Dole on CNN’s Late Edition

They say that old men become curmudgeons because at their age they have no reason to care what anybody thinks of them. Here’s a very fine example.

And God bless him for it.

Pity it didn’t begin in early 1996, though…