Friday, August 27, 2004

A Sign Of Desperation

I’m a bit reluctant to toss out words like “collapse” and “desperation” in a race that is still, at this writing, so close. But this Reuters story is hard to describe any other way.

Democrat John Kerry on Thursday challenged Republican President Bush, to weekly debates from now until the November 2nd presidential election.

Leave aside that he knows this isn’t going to happen. Also leave aside that this is an obvious setup for him to taunt the President as “ducking my challenge after I met his [on the Iraq war vote] head-on”. (And got steamrolled in the process, I might add.)

I just ask the very obvious question: does a confident candidate throw down such lame gauntlets? Does he need to? Or has Brah-man been reading the polling tea leaves of the past few days?

’America deserves a serious discussion about its future. It does not deserve a campaign of fear and smear,’ the Massachusetts senator told a crowd at a community college near Minneapolis.

Translation: my bigger “band of brothers” have kicked the legs out from under my trumped up “war hero” persona, my attempts to “fear and smear” them have backfired, and I’m frantically grasping for any straw I can possibly reach to prevent my campaign from cratering.

And he grabs hold of…the very things that will draw attention to what he spent less than a minute talking about in his fifty-five minute convention speech: his twenty-year senate record.

Out of the frying pan…

You just gotta love the Bushies’ amused reply:

’During the next few weeks, John Kerry should take the time to finish the debates with himself,’ said Bush campaign spokesman Steve Schmidt.

Is the Boston Balker, as Hugh Hewitt described him today, “teetering on the brink of collapse”?

Not yet.

Or at least, not until a week and change from now.

But he is trying, well, desperately, to change the subject from the Swift Vet hornets’ nest he’s stirred up – and steaming right into the next Bush, um, ambush.

Assuming that the President hasn’t switched parties by then, that is.

Talk about “strange bedfellows”…