Saturday, January 29, 2005

The BPC (Blogosphere Prayer Chain) Activates

During the week I check in with the conservative megablogs (TKS, Powerline, Captain's Quarters) several times a day. However, on the weekends, especially during basketball season, that frequency drops to once, and that's just to harvest links for my topical links pages.

Consequently, it was only just now that I learned of the need of Ed Morrissey's wife for a pancreas transplant.

My visceral reaction was, "Oh, my God, I didn't know they even DID pancreas transplants - is she okay?" Each blogger chooses to reveal as much of his/her personal life as s/he wills, and Captain Ed has disclosed something of his wife's health problems in the past, and maybe I missed this level of disclosure, but I had no idea it was THIS bad.

Two things I've learned from life's trials - which, in my case, don't even remotely approach this - is that (1) nobody who isn't in the trial him/herself can possibly truly understand what it's like to live with it first hand, day after day after day; and (2) prayers and good wishes from others aren't meant to mimic that level of empathy, and do feel good nonetheless.

And the blogosphere being network-ive by its very nature, it lends itself, I would think, to a treasure trove of love, friendship, and support.

So the piecemeal, ever-evolving team at Hard Starboard officially joins, and endorses, Captain Ed's request for prayers for his wife and the "family on the East Coast" who lost a loved one whose pancreas was a near-miss as a match for Mrs. Morrissey. I'll also forward Ed's page to my own congregation's email prayer chain.

Hang in there, guys. God is holding you in the palm of His hand.