Sunday, January 02, 2005

The Cold That Wouldn't Leave

Way back at the end of November, I posted on all that was going wrong in my life that would be drying up my blogging for a while. It focused on three fundamental pains in the ass: 1) budget season in my day job, 2) impending jury duty, and 3) a severe cold.

Well, budget season eventually passed, as did jury duty, where I was blessedly not selected. The thing that has not passed, even after five solid weeks, is this damned cold.

I thought I had shaken it after Thanksgiving week, but the cough still remained, and then I relapsed violently in mid-December. Going into Christmas week I thought I had beaten it again, only the cough still hung on, and this weekend brought round three. And unlike the previous two rounds where I managed to regain enough health to go to work without dragging or distraction, as of this posting I am no better than I was on Friday.

And that's a pain, because now I have a major software glitch to solve as well as year-end close to get out by Wednesday. Doing this while my head feels like it's going to burst in a spray of mucus, plus coughing my gunky lungs inside out, is going to be just loads of fun.

At any rate, that's where I've disappeared to since the first few minutes of 2005, and where I'll be if I don't surface again for a few days. It may not be the Morrissey Method, but when I feel like crap, I don't feel like doing much of anything ("Other than feeling sorry for yourself," I can just hear my readers saying. Well, all I can say is "touche," and extend the hand I just coughed wrackingly into).

One thing my convalescence afforded me today is the opportunity to behold my NFL team, the Seattle Seahawks, win the NFC West title. I don't say this celebratorily, since their means of doing so, a 28-26 win over the second-stringer-laden NFC South champs, the Atlanta Falcons, that featured yet another late-fourth quarter collapse, was about as unimpressive a way to win a division (short of backing into it, which the St. Louis Rams' earlier come-from-behind win over the New York Jets made impossible) as we poor, long-suffering Hee-hack fans have come to expect over the past three months.

And in what has to be some sort of minor cosmic joke, Seattle drew those very same Rams, who swept the 'hawks this season, in the first round next Saturday.

Maybe Mike Martz will do Mike Holmgren a favor this time and just blow the Seahawks out quickly so that the QWest Field crowd can beat the post-game traffic, and my ongoing cold convalescence can be accompanied by another History Channel marathon.