Thursday, October 20, 2005

George W. Clinton

Read these two quotes and then tell me if they don't sound eerily, and horrifyingly, familiar.

1)

I've got a job to do. Part of my job is to work with others to passion a world that will be peaceful for future generations, and I've got a job to do to make sure this economy continues to grow. I got a job to make sure that there's a plausible reconstruction plan for the cities affected by Katrina. I got a job to make sure this hurricane headed toward Florida is - federal response is prepared for it. So to answer your question: there's some background noise here, a lot chatter, a lot of speculation, and opining, but the American people expect me to do my job, and I'm going to.
and

2)

President Bush's agents have convinced conservative Republican senators heartsick over his nomination of Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court that they must support her to save his presidency. [emphases mine]

First of all, you'll never convince me that Republican senators, who plan to be in the Senate long after George Bush has gone back to fence-mending and posthole-digging in Crawford, are going to put their own political ballsacks in a sling by hitching themselves to a lameduck president who has torpedoed his own boat and is taking on water at an alarming rate.

But leave that aside for a moment. Could the above presidential rhetoric, first- and second-hand, not have been taken almost verbatim from almost any Clinton presser in his second term? Particularly after Monicagate, um, erupted?

And haven't the Bushes and the Clintons been spending an awful lot of time together over the past year or so?

Could Mr. Bill be the one who originally planted the seed, months ago, that Harriet Miers might be a good SCOTUS pick?

It'd be the first thing about this fiasco that made any sense.