Monday, July 17, 2006

Another One Of Those Days

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to actually be able to make a living from blogging. That's mostly because such a thing is virtually impossible even for the megabloggers, and even if it were feasible, I'm obviously light-years short of that level. The remainder of why isn't a dislike of my "day job," but the fact that some days are more relaxed than others, and today was not one of those days. Which should also tell you why I've posted zippo since yesterday morning.

Well, that and the fact that I crashed on my couch last night after driving all day from my in-laws' house on the other side of the state. Seeing as how I drove over Friday night, that was six hundred miles round-trip in approximately fifty hours, something I ordinarily never do but made an exception for this time because I didn't want to miss out on my debut as an uncle.

Being an only child, and given the years-apparent reality that my wife's brother (her only sibling) and his wife were never going to have kids of their own, it never occurred to me that I might ever get the chance to have a niece and nephew. Happily for all involved (particularly the niece and nephew), they got the opportunity to become, first foster parents, and then full-fledged adoptive mommy & daddy to a four-year-old boy and his two-year-old sister. The deal was done just recently, and they came out from Minnesota to make their own debut to their new extended family, including their pudgy, curmugeonly, wise-cracking uncle. And a cuter pair has never been encountered (after my own kids at that age, of course). It was well worth the marathon behind the wheel, and the approximately $342 I dropped on the trip.

Well, my wife had quite a bit to do with that as well. Hubba-hubba.

I suppose I can't really complain about my drive considering that my brother-in-law and sister-in-law drove from and to the gopher state (1,197 miles each way) with two young kids in tow. But it sure put a crimp in my blogging. If our hotel hadn't had a workstation available, I'd have been blacked out entirely.

Hopefully somebody out there noticed the difference.