Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Real State of the Union

When I first saw this linked over at Instapundit, I thought, oh no, another Bush bashing tirade. The title was "The State of the Union is a Disaster." Then I went and read it, it's by Jules Crittendon. He's saying this is what the President should give tonight. It's actually awesome. Here's a sample:

The State of the Union is a disaster. I did my best, but I made mistakes, and my best wasn’t good enough.

We went to war without building up our army, and now, I am trying to make up for that.

But that is not the disaster.

The disaster is that you, Congress and the American people, do not care to fight.

Faced with a fundamental challenge to our own security, to everything we believe in, to the world order to peace and security for which we and our parents fought so hard for so many years, you now want to pretend like none of these threats are real. You want to surrender to the evil I have been telling you about. An evil that, unchecked, can consume large parts of the world and threatens to usher in a dark age.

You didn’t like it when I talked about evil. Sounded too simple, too uncompromising, too moralistic. Too … biblical.

I don’t know what else you call people who fly passenger jets into office buildings; who rape women in front of their husbands and children, and execute their opponents in acid baths; who seek to spread tyrannical and archaic religious regimes that enslave women and stifle fundamental freedoms. Who want to dominate the world’s primary oil fields with nuclear weapons.

Oh, how I'd love to hear Bush come out and tell it like it is like this. I love the guy, but he needs to take the gloves off. Read the whole thing, you'll be saying "AMEN" like you were in a Southern Baptist Church.

JASmius adds: "Union"? What "union"? Even after 9/11 there wasn't any "union" in any real, practical sense. The Democrats made sure of it. Which is why the fact that they're back in power is a disaster all by itself.

As for Bush "taking off the gloves," isn't that what we spent 1991 and 1992 waiting for his father to do? And did he?

The fruit don't fall far from the tree, as the old saying goes....