Monday, January 15, 2007

Wife Watch, Day 14

I've touched on my wife's distending sojourn of mercy to arrange care for her elderly and now invalid parents a couple of times here. Today begins a day-by-day vigil as her bodily fate and perhaps our matrimonial one may be sliding into the balance of uncertainty.

The synopsis of the most recent update is that my mother-in-law underwent successful back surgery a week ago and is in recovery. That was last Tuesday; a winter storm precluded Mrs. HS from coming back the next day, and we didn't hear from her at all until Friday, when she told us that she would be returning yesterday. Saturday evening she called again to confirm that as well as her time of departure, between nine and ten o'clock in the morning, the better to get back home before it got dark.

At a quarter past three yesterday afternoon she calls and tells me that (1) she hasn't left yet, (2) she didn't even attempt to leave until after noon, (3) she can't leave because her car won't start, (4) she hadn't done anything to try and get the car fixed so it would start (and not die on her), and (5) she would not borrow either of her parents' vehicles, which neither of them will ever drive again and at least one of which we'll probably end up with anyway.

I blew my stack (and justifiably so). She's still gone. And her car probably still won't start, and most likely will remain that way until spring, or whenever it gets above freezing in the Palouse again, whichever comes first.

At this point I have no idea when, or even if, my woman is ever going to return to me. Which, having written that, probably means she'll be waiting when I get home tonight, demanding to know where I've been.

But at least she'd be back. And given the case of blue balls I've got right now, a few whacks of the proverbial rolling pin would be well worth it.

UPDATE: Reportedly, Mrs. HS departed at just before 2PM, which would put her currently at about half-way home.

We shall see, Galvatron, we shall see.

UPDATE II: I have my wife back. Which, naturally, meant four and a half hours of gabbing (to which I was happy to listen) and nagging (to which I was not) before we finally "got down to business." Now I have some dim idea of what it's like for military families these days.

Part one of the five-part "receipt" has been collected. I can't wait for part two tonight.

Even the look on her face will be worth it.