Saturday, April 08, 2006

Neat S.I. Interview

Okay, this is somewhat off the beaten path, but this is a really good interview with Jim Nantz. Lots of interesting stuff there, especially if you like golf, but I especially liked this exchange:

SI: An SI poll found that almost 90% of Tour players said invading Iraq was a good idea, and zero had seen Brokeback Mountain. Is there something beyond socioeconomics going on? Something about golf that suits a conservative temperament?

JN: I don't think golf gives you a political bent.

SI: Is it about control? Focus? Discipline?

JN: Golf is an individual sport. You have to be disciplined. Not that I'm saying liberals are undisciplined. I'll give you my political leanings when I run for office in a couple of years. But do I substitute the word discipline for conservative? Maybe. Guys in golf aren't hanging out in bars late at night, by and large, or trying to find the great nightclub at this week's Tour stop. If you do, you won't succeed. So it's a regimented group. You need discipline to get to the Tour in the first place. You need discipline to hit balls, to train. Nobody's going to cover for you out there - it's just you.

Read the whole thing, good stuff.